body link=##FF3300 body vlink=#660099

X-Men: Evolution of the Heart: Chapter Thirty One

Author's note: This chapter concerns the whole Phoenix aspect of Jean that the cartoon never addressed. I have chosen Dark Phoenix to be the big villain in this series, not Apocalypse (don’t expect Apocalypse to be in this series). I have tried to take some aspects from the comic book and add them with a few concepts of my own. I also plan to add a new character that was inspired from another one of my stories. I hope you all like him!

Also, I've tried to make this so you can put in to the cartoon and not just this story. So you can think of this to maybe take place after the final episode 'Ascension'.

The song "I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing" belongs to Aerosmith.

The Sacrifice

Scott Summers had done it...He had made his choice. He had chosen to give his life to save Jean Grey from becoming the sinister Dark Phoenix. He made the ultimate sacrifice for this girl...For love. The mutant warrior, Slayer, watched Scott leap in to the flames as the final seconds came and went. He struggled to his feet even after the beating the Phoenix had given him.

Now...All he could do is watch the legend unfold before him.

The mind, body, and soul of Scott Summers was consumed by the bright red fires of the holy Phoenix...Then, something strange happened. The aura that was Scott Summers began to glow a fiery blue flame that was only minuscule at first...But then it began to grow. The pure blue fires began to spread throughout every part of the sinister deity. The evil red flames were replaced with the blue flames as the ancient spell that bound the Phoenix shattered like glass. With this...The evil within let out an agonizing final yell.

"AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" roared the evil entity as the purity of the good blue fires consumed it.

The whole room began to shake as all the dark red flames were now replaced with blue ones. The brightness of the fires was blinding as an intense beam of blue light shot out of the top of the temple and in to the sky. This caused the whole temple to rumble from top to bottom. Slayer saw the intensity of the power grow...And then knew that it was time to get out. He ran back down the corridor from which he came to gather the rest of the team.

The X-Men had continued to battle the mysterious guardians all through the countdown. They were exhausted, but they fought on. Then, as the shaking of the temple grew, the mysterious dark guardians that had been holding them back...Vanished in to thin air like dust in the wind. Before they could do anything else, Slayer came running through the main corridor.

"The whole place is going to blow!" yelled the mutant warrior as chunks of stone began to fall.

"I'll port us out!" said Kurt.

"No time! Everybody gather around! Hurry!" yelled Slayer.

There was no time for any of them to argue...So they gathered in close around the mutant warrior. Then, the symbols on the back of his hands began to glow as he started chanting some mysterious spell. From the power of Slayer's magic, a glowing purple haze engulfed the entire team. They watched nervously as the roof above them came crashing down and braced themselves for impact...But it never came. Then, they disappeared in to the glowing mist as the ancient temple began to crumble.

***

Outside Professor Charles Xavier watched in horror as the strange red light shooting from the top of the pyramid changed in to bright blue. Shaking in the Earth could be felt as he watched the temple of the Phoenix fall apart.

*Everybody, are you okay!? Logan, Ororo, anybody!?* said the Professor frantically through his psychic powers.

Then, a mysterious haze formed before him. He still couldn't sense anybody...But then as the haze cleared, the rest of the X-Men appeared along with Slayer. They were tired, battered, and physically drained...But they were okay. However, one of them was missing...

Then, everybody looked back at the crumbling temple, as if to hope Scott and Jean would come running out of it any second...But then something else happened. In a brilliant flash of blue light, the ancient pyramid exploded with a loud bang. The explosion was so bright the team had to shield their eyes from it. Where once a great and magnificent pyramid stood, now was merely a large pile of rubble. However, it was not over...

"Mien Gott..." said Kurt along with collective gasps from the others as they watched the sky.

The blue flames that had overtaken the dark red ones now transferred back to a golden yellow that had been the true color of the Phoenix all those eons ago. Vast swirls of light streamed majestically through the sky as if it were stretching after being confined for so long. Through all this beauty of the now pure Phoenix...The team remembered their leader and friend. He was not present and they all now feared the worst.

"Slayer...Did Scott...Is he..." began Ororo, however she was unable to finish.

All eyes were now on the mutant warrior, who simply bowed his head in sorrow for he had seen it all unfold right before his very eyes.

"He made his choice...He chose the path of the heart," said Slayer, for that's all he could say.

Tears began to form in the eyes of the X-Men as the mutant warrior confirmed their greatest fear...Scott Summers was dead. He had given his life to save those of his friends. Scott, who had been like a big brother to them all, was now gone for good. They had survived the horrors of living on the streets with him. If it hadn't been for him, they probably wouldn't have found each other in the first place. He was so much more than a leader to them in the short time they had been X-men. They had been closer than any family through all the bad times...Only to have it end like this.

"Then he did it...He followed the legend," said Logan who tried to hide his own feelings of remorse.

"Yes..." replied Slayer. "The spell over the ancient Phoenix is broken now and forever...All because of the power of the heart. You've all helped save countless lives from a great and powerful evil...But I'm sorry it had to come at such a terrible price."

Nobody could fight their tears anymore. They had just lost a friend, a leader, and a brother and there was nothing they could have done about it. Professor Xavier was at a total loss for words. He couldn't believe that something like this had happened to the students he had vowed to protect. He had always believed that the power of mutants could be used to save lives...But in the end it wasn't mutant powers that had stopped the Phoenix...It was love. The beauty of the flames in the sky could not ease the pain of their loss. Then, as the death of their friend and leader sank in, another presence came back to life in the skies over the rubble.

***

Through all fires and swirls above...A lone figure slowly descended from the bowels of the flames and landed softly in the center clearing that had once been the great temple of the Phoenix. It was the tired, nearly unconscious body of Jean Grey. There was no more dark entity within her...Just her own flesh and blood. Slowly but surely, she regained consciousness as the golden fires above her continued to swirl and shine. Her muscles ached and her head was sore...But she was alive. She had survived being possessed by an ancient dark deity. However, as soon as she recovered her strength, she felt that something was still missing.

As her vision cleared she looked around her. Then, she realized in horror that the soft buzz inside her mind that had been the mind link that she shared with Scott...Was gone. It had completely vanished. It was as if a part of her very being had disappeared. Frantically, she searched in vain through the recesses of her mind for any traces of Scott.

*Scott! Where are you? Scott?* but to no avail.

She could find nothing...It was as if he didn't exist. Tears then began to well up in her eyes as the images of the final moments of Dark Phoenix echoed back in her mind. She remembered all the fire...The hate...The sacrifice. It crashed upon her in a mountain of sorrow as she remembered Scott's final living act to save her. He had helped her overcome and suppress it...Then he had been the one to destroy it...And set her free. She remembered the song...His tender words...And everything else that led to his ultimate fate. Jean didn't want to believe it...She didn't want to accept it. After all they had been through in their traumatic lives and after they had finally found love and happiness with each other...He was gone.

Then, in a pile of rubble off to the side...Jean saw a body covered in debris...Lying motionlessly on the ground.

"Oh my God...No..." said Jean in a hoarse voice as she slowly made her way over to the body.

She knelt down as she cleared some of the rocks off him and saw her greatest fear confirmed. Jean Grey simply froze in shock as she looked at the dead body that had once been her friend and lover...Scott Summers. She was paralyzed...For he was truly gone now...Gone forever. Slowly, she ran her hand softly down his face and felt herself choked up by waves of sorrow. His body was now cold and stiff...And there was no more link between them, for it had died with him.

"Scott...Wake up...Please don't leave me...Please don't go..." Jean's voice was barely audible as she was overcome with grief.

She felt sick inside...She had just lost her soul mate. He had willingly given his life to save hers. It hurt...For what was done couldn't be undone. The dead body of her best friend offered no comfort to her feelings of remorse as she finally collapsed and cried a river of tears.

Even the beauty of the golden flames of the now purified Phoenix above her couldn't erase the pain that would never go away. Jean had never had anything good happen to her in her life up until she met Scott. Her life before him had been an endless streak of pain, beatings, and rapes. Then, when she met Scott, she had someone that helped her in more ways than she ever thought possible. They were more then just friends...They were soul mates. She never wanted to live life without Scott by her side...But now he was really gone. After everything they had lived through, he was dead...And part of herself had died with him.

"Goodbye Scott..." sobbed Jean as she kept crying in to the dead body before her, "Thank you...For saving me. Thank you...For being there for me...For helping me...For loving me. I'm so sorry all this had to happen...I'm sorry...I. I'll always love you...Even in death...I'll never stop loving you...Goodbye."

With that...She placed a final soft kiss on Scott's cold forehead, for it was better to kiss Scott Summers dead then not kiss him at all now that he was gone. The endless sobs for such a painful loss only made her feel worse inside. He did this because of her...And she didn't know if she could live with such guilt. But then she remembered Scott's final words to her...Be strong and have faith. That would be hard without him...But they were his final wishes and she would not break them. Then, as tears were still streaming down her face...Something happened in the skies above them.

The swirling fires that now embodied the pure, uncorrupted Phoenix gathered above where the temple once stood. The light grew brighter as every holy ember began to converge in to one. Finally, with a mighty roar the once and future Phoenix took shape and the powerful entity was whole once more.

"Freedom..." echoed the divine voice that filtered through all the minds of the X-Men.

It was free once more...And no spell of darkness was there to corrupt it. The purity, light, and warmth of holy bird now burned brighter than ever from the ashes of its former self. Its golden embers now littered the sky with unmatched beauty. Then, as it soared majestically over the land below it...Two bright, beautiful flames descended from the body of the Phoenix and hovered towards the two beings that had freed it from the terrible ancient spell that had bought suffering to so many. The keeper and the savior had subdued the most evil force imaginable...And for that, the ancient powerful deity was eternally grateful. And like Scott Summers...It had made a choice of its own. As the two golden flames descended down further...Another rain of golden embers fell upon the land. Flowers bloomed, dead plants came back to life, and the air itself seemed to be purified. The rain of sparkles both mystified and enchanted the group of only witnesses to such a divine act beauty. Then, the two large golden flames that had been sent down by the holy bird slowed as they reached their destination. Slowly, they hovered over Jean Grey and the body of Scott Summers. Jean could only look back at them in awe as they started to move once again. The flames were gentle and warm...A far cry from the malevolent fires of the Dark Phoenix. Then finally...The golden flames entered the bodies of the two beings that had saved the Phoenix. Each one of them gave off a strange golden glow as the fires merged with their bodies and the warmth from it spread. Jean didn't know what had just happened, but whatever that fire was...It had performed a miracle.

Suddenly, a faint voice could be heard in the recesses of her mind.

*Jean...*

A warm feeling came over her mind as the glow from the embers that had merged with them subsided. Suddenly, she felt a part of her mind begin to buzz with a warm sensation. It was the familiar feeling of her special link with Scott. But that was impossible. He was dead...Wasn't he?

Jean watched in silent amazement as the glow around Scott=s body subsided.

Then, she felt life once again return to the once dead body.

"Oh my God..." said Jean in amazement.

Now she was paralyzed by what had just happened. All she could do was watch as short, shallow breaths returned to the body of Scott Summers and his mind once again became active. Slowly, Jean ran her fingers down the side of his face to feel his skin warm once more. The gentle feeling in her mind had returned and it was stronger than ever. The mind link was back, he was breathing again...He was alive. He had left this world, but then returned. Then, she soon felt Scott's eyes upon her as her tears of sorrow became tears of joy.

"Am I dead? Jean...Is that really you?" said Scott in a weak voice.

Jean just smiled brilliantly as Scott looked up and saw her heavenly face among the golden fires of the Phoenix in the sky. He felt as if maybe he had died...And she was an angel.

"No...It's okay Scott," said Jean softly as she caressed his cheek, "Everything's going to be okay."

It was then that Scott knew that this was real. Those simple words...The very same words he had heard in that very special dream many years ago...Confirmed that this was life, not death. It was then he finally knew what that dream meant after all these years. It was him being with Jean...The one who Scott had always considered nothing less of an angel who had saved his soul in his darkest hour. In a way, he had known her before he had even met her. It was something truly special, for even death couldn't bypass true feelings of friendship and love. Now their minds were linked in the deepest of ways now and forever.

"Are you okay?" asked Scott softly as he gradually felt his strength returning to him, "Did it work? Are you free from the Phoenix?"

"Don't worry, it worked Scott. You saved me...You saved all those people...You saved us all. You saved us and were willing to die for it. I don't think I'll ever be able to thank you for this..." said Jean with her words thick with emotion and her eyes moist from the overwhelming feelings of joy she now felt in the comforting presence of her lover.

Scott simply put his hand on her shoulder and slowly ran it up towards her face. His gentle caress soothed her soul, for he was there...He was with her. He didn't leave her. Her happiness could not be described with words as Scott simply smiled back at her.

"You don't have to thank me Jean...I had to save you. Even if it meant me dying...I just don't think I could ever live in a world without you...Because you are my world. You are, and always have been, everything to me. You were there for me when no one else was...And I was there for you. We were there for each other...Even when things were at their worst we were there for each other. And I just want you to always remember that...I love you Jean...I really do love you more than I can ever describe with words."

Jean didn't fight her tears this time. Instead, she just buried her face in his shoulder and cried her heart out. But it was of happiness, not sorrow. Scott could only wrap his arms around her and hold her close to him. They had survived terrible lives together, and through it their bond grew stronger. And now that they had survived the Phoenix, it was clearer than ever that the love that had grown so strong between Scott Summers and Jean Grey would never be broken.

"I love you too Scott...I love you so much..."

Jean could no long speak with words, for her voice was too choked up to continue. Soon, actions replaced those words as their lips drew together in a soft, loving kiss as the sparkling embers from the Phoenix seemed to glow brighter around them.

***

Back up with the rest of the group, tears of sadness still ran deep as they felt the pain of losing their friend. However, as the embers around them fell...A strange feeling came across the Professor's mind. Slayer seemed to feel it as well through the all-seeing eye. Then, the letter that Scott had given to the Professor to give to Jean after all this was over suddenly dissolved in to a glowing yellow dust. The others began to look at the Professor's expression with a great deal of curiosity, as his face seemed to light up like the sun.

"Charles..." said Ororo, but he soon answered before she could even ask her question.

"He's alive...Scott's alive," said Charles in amazement as he sensed the young man=s presence once again.

"What...But that's impossible...It..." Logan couldn't believe what he was hearing and neither could the others.

The glowing embers around them seemed to get brighter as a new feeling settled over them and the despair faded.

"It's true..." confirmed Slayer with a light smile as he looked back towards where Scott and Jean were.

Sad looks on the faces of the X-Men were replaced with happy ones as a wave of relief swept over them, for their friend was not dead...He hadn't left them.

"But...How?" said Hank in disbelief.

The mutant warrior just smiled back and then turned his attention to the sky above where the majestic Phoenix was still soaring brilliantly through the heavens.

"Scott made a choice. But apparently...So did the Phoenix. The legend never spoke of such things...But even I have forgotten that legends never tell the full story. In the end...It is up to those who are a part of those legends to make the choices that affect the outcome."

The mutant warrior was at a loss for further words as the others let the miracle they had just witnessed sink in. Time had been against them...Divine forces had been against them...Yet they had triumphed. While Slayer still didn't believe in fate, he couldn't help but smile at how things worked themselves out.

In the skies above them, the pure Phoenix took its true bird form for the first time. It let out great cries of joy, for it was finally free. All the power that Dark Phoenix had possessed could not equate to the power of freedom. Nothing bound the holy bird anymore. No dark spells or evil cult tainted its purity. It continued to fly through the evening sky over the heads of the group of special souls that had saved it. And for that...The powerful deity was eternally grateful.

"Vhat's it doing now?" asked Kurt as he and the others just looked up at brilliant light show in awe.

Slayer just smiled as he soon became equally enticed by such beauty that so few had witnessed over the vast recesses of time and space. The rest of the X-men seemed equally enticed by the scene before them. Their sorrow had reverted to joy by the touch of a living god.

"It's thanking us," said Slayer simply as he looked on.

"Any idea how to say yer welcome?" said Logan with a grin.

"Don't worry...It knows," said the mutant warrior with a smile as the golden embers that fell around them glowed brighter.

With one last roar in to the sky, the Phoenix began to ascend in to the heavens...Leaving a trail of golden embers behind to fall to the Earth below. It was free now...And that freedom would not be taken for granted anymore.

"So where's it gonna go now?" asked Kitty as she felt Kurt's gentle arm around her as she and the rest of her friends watched the Phoenix fly off ever farther away.

"It's going back to where all gods belong...The stars," said Slayer as he watched the holy bird go.

Through this brilliant show of beauty, the two souls that had set the Phoenix free, the keeper and the savior, stayed in a passionate embrace...Thankful to have each other back. Scott Summers and Jean Grey had survived the worst of the worst and still their bond of friendship and love never faltered. And it promised to remain solid and pure forever as they stayed and kissed under the blessed holy embers of the fires of the Phoenix.

***

Upon returning to the mansion in a jubilant triumph, there still remained one more issue that had to be addressed.

"Do you really have to leave Slayer? Even after everything that's happened?" asked Scott as he and the others stood near the gates of the mansion where the one who had helped save them all stood ready to leave just as suddenly as he had appeared.

The mutant warrior was no longer in his traditional armor. He wore normal street cloths now simply stood before the grateful group of mutants that he had helped so much.

"I'm sorry Scott...But I must leave. I can't stay here," said Slayer as he smiled at his newfound friends and allies.

"Come on man!" said Evan who shared everyone's desire not to see this stranger turned friend go, "You'd be a perfect addition to the team."

"Yes, I think I speak for all of us when I say, we would like you to stay," said the Professor hoping the mutant warrior would accept his offer. "You fight to uphold the very same principles that this institute was founded upon. We could use someone like you for future students."

"Ja, and you've just GOT to teach us some of those cool moves you showed us back there!" exclaimed Kurt as he poorly tried to mimic some of Slayers fighting moves that he saw back at the temple.

As good an offer it was, the mutant warrior still could not accept it. He could only shake his head and grinned.

"I'm sorry...But I just don't belong here."

"What makes you say that?" asked Ororo.

"I am a warrior...You are students, whose paths are open to so many opportunities to help others like us who feel the burden of our own souls. You have your place here...And I dare not intrude upon it."

The X-Men were greatly disappointed by Slayer's response, for they really did want him to join. He had shown his sincerity towards helping them on numerous occasions and they sought to return the favor, but it appeared that it wouldn't be necessary.

"Come on bub, I know we kinda got off to a rocky start. But after everything you've done to help us the least we can do is..." but Logan was soon cut off once more as Slayer gave his reasons for his choice.

"I don't require any payment for that which I have done. If I wanted to be rewarded for my actions...Well, that wouldn't make me much of a warrior now would it? The honor alone is more than enough reward for me. But if you wish to repay me...Then I ask only one thing of you."

"Name it," said Jean, who felt greatly indebted to this man who had helped save her from the Phoenix.

"Don't ever let yourselves be ruled by things like fate...Because those who believe it...Become victims of it. You all must never forget that which you have been blessed with. It's like I said before...You have the power, it's just a matter of how you use it."

Scott couldn't help but smile at those words. They were the very same ones spoken to him when he was struggling to make a choice about saving Jean. In the end it was those words that helped him make the right one...And it saved both him and Jean. There was no price that could be put on such a gift. "So I guess this is goodbye..." said Rogue as she and the rest of the team showed their disappointment over Slayer's decision.

"I guess so," replied the mutant warrior.

"Will we ever see you again?" asked Kitty with a hopeful tone.

Slayer just smiled back.

"Don't be at all surprised if you do."

That helped and got the others to smile back as well.

"Well then...I wish you the best Slayer," said Professor Xavier as he extended his hand as a token of peace.

"And I wish the best for you and your dream as well Professor Xavier..." said the mutant warrior as he shook the Professor's hand.

And with that, the gates opened and the powerful mutant began to make his way out in to the night. However, there was one last thing on the minds of the X-Men.

"Slayer..." said Scott, stopping the mutant warrior cold in his tracks. "What about the future? You said you can determine it from what you see. How does it look? Do you know what's in store for us?"

The mutant warrior just shook his head and laughed.

"Don't have a clue...The future has become completely ambiguous and unclear for anybody to see. And that's exactly the way it ought to be. Now, you have the ability to make your own future...So make it a good one. Peace."

And with that, a mysterious mist enveloped the mutant warrior and he gradually faded from sight. The X-men waved goodbye to their new friend and ally and he waved back. Hopefully, their paths would cross again, but just like Slayer said...The future is unclear, and anything can happen.

***

That night, everyone celebrated the triumph over Dark Phoenix. They had come so close to seeing two of their friends die...But they stayed united. And in the end, Scott and Jean found an even deeper bond with each other. They finally could enjoy the love they had discovered and be happy once more. The Phoenix had come so close to tearing them apart. Yet, their love stayed true and in the end it saved them and countless others. Now, they had a chance to make a new future...And no matter what happened, one thing stayed clear. They would face their future together.

As the hours ticked by and fatigue set in, Scott played a special song on his guitar. It was a song that symbolized so many things from his feelings for Jean to the bond the X-men shared. As Scott played and the others listened, there remained little doubt as to the future that awaited them.

I could stay awake just to hear you breathing
Watch you smile while you are sleeping
While you're far away and dreaming
I could spend my life in this sweet surrender
I could stay lost in this moment forever
Well, every moment spent with you
Is a moment I treasure

I don't wanna close my eyes
I don't wanna fall asleep
'Cause I'd miss you, baby
And I don't wanna miss a thing
'Cause even when I dream of you
The sweetest dream would never do
I'd still miss you, baby
And I don't wanna miss a thing

Lie close to you
Feeling your heart beating
And I'm wondering what you're dreaming
Wondering if it's me you're seeing
Then I kiss your eyes and thank God we're together
And I just wanna stay with you
In this moment forever, forever and ever

I don't wanna close my eyes
I don't wanna fall asleep
'Cause I'd miss you, baby
And I don't wanna miss a thing
'Cause even when I dream of you
The sweetest dream would never do
I'd still miss you, baby
And I don't wanna miss a thing

I don't wanna miss one smile
I don't wanna miss one kiss
Well, I just wanna be with you
Right here with you, just like this
I just wanna hold you close
Feel your heart so close to mine
And just stay here in this moment
For all the rest of time

Don't wanna close my eyes
Don't wanna fall asleep
'Cause I'd miss you, baby
And I don't wanna miss a thing
'Cause even when I dream of you
The sweetest dream would never do
'Cause I'd still miss you, baby
And I don't wanna miss a thing

I don't wanna close my eyes
I don't wanna fall asleep
'Cause I'd miss you, baby
And I don't wanna miss a thing
'Cause even when I dream of you
The sweetest dream would never do
I'd still miss you, baby
And I don't wanna miss a thing

Don't wanna close my eyes
I don't wanna fall asleep, yeah
I don't wanna miss a thing
I don't wanna miss a thing

That night, Scott and Jean fell asleep in each other's arms. It had been a long, hard road to get to where they were now...But it was worth it. With everything that had happened and everything that had yet happen, their love stayed true. And they wouldn't let anything taint it for as long as they had the power that they gave each other. Their mind link was strong and their bond was deep. It was something that transcended all boundaries. They slept with smiles on their faces as they began to have a dream...But this dream was different than the ones they had before. This was not an omen or a warning...It was something else. In the dream, Scott and Jean found themselves standing over a majestic cliff overlooking the beautiful night sky. They both held hands and watched as the stars shined brightly in the velvet sky. There was no running or fear...Just a beautiful scene to behold. Through it...A golden halo of fire streaked across the sky above them, riddling the air around them with golden embers. It was the Phoenix and it had come to them once more. They were still the keeper and the savior. There would always be a little bit of the Phoenix left within their souls now and forever more. They deserved as much after all they had done to free it. Scott and Jean couldn't help but smile as their grip on each other grew stronger as they waved at the holy Phoenix as it flew away once more. As if flew, the Phoenix portrayed a single thought back to the two kindred souls that had saved it.

*Thank you Scott Summers and Jean Grey...Thank you.*

chap thirty two

back